My teacher

You taught me that there is such a thing as love at first sight.

You taught me that it’s ok to let you sleep in my arms because you’ll only fit in them for such a short amount of time.

You taught me that kids need love & attention, good food, exercise and discipline. (Not necessarily in that order.)

You taught me patience, compassion and kindness. (Okay so I’m still learning patience.)

You taught me how to bask in the sunshine, roll in the grass and live in the moment.

You’ve been a friend, a pillow, an alarm clock, a therapist, a trainer, a horsie, a reindeer for about thirty seven seconds while the stupid antlers stayed on your head, and my first (furry) baby.

You taught me what unconditional love is.

And now you’re going to teach me a lesson I am completely unprepared to learn, how to let you go.

I don’t know when we will decide it’s time to say goodbye,  I know you will guide me in figuring that out.

I know I will cherish each lesson we have left together.

27 Responses to “My teacher”

1. *sniff* They’re not just pets are they? They’re part of the family.

2. :-( This post broke my heart. I completely understand how deeply and madly we love our pets. I’m going to hug mine a little closer today thanks to your post.

xoxo.

3. Nichole says:

Oh, my friend.
    I am so sorry. I’m here if you need a shoulder. xoxo

4. Vicki says:

God, this is horrible. I still have dreams about the dog I lost when I went to college. But it gets at least a little better about after a month.

I’m worried about my kid too, she is already so attached to Rory that this is going to be really hard on her too.

5. Jessica says:

I’m sorry. I know how much pets become part of our lives. Hugs to you.

6. Heather Struble says:

Well said. Rory is such a special soul. Whenever her time with us here is up, it will not have been long enough. I hope you can enjoy and make the most of the time you do have left. Give her lots of tummy rubs, hugs and treats for me!

7. Eva Gallant says:

It is really hard to loose a pet that has become a part of the family. so sorry you need to do that!

8. Shannon says:

Oh no, I’m so sorry, Yuliya. I was really hoping it would turn out to be nothing serious. Big hug to you.

9. What a beautiful tribute to an amazing friend and family member. Here is wishing you strength and help in this time.

10. John says:

Huge hugs . . . I still remember driving out to my mom’s place in the middle of a blizzard, because it was “time” to put the dog I had grown up with down, and I couldn’t not be there.

He hated going to the vet — absolutely hated it, and would do whatever he could to keep from going in the doors (Buckwheat was especially clever and would actually try things like appear eager to go into the door so that you’d let your guard down, and then sprint at full speed at the last possible moment). The time it was time to say goodbye, he knew what was happening, and went in proudly – no fight. He asked to sit in my lap as soon as I sat down and I gave him one last bellyrub as it was time.

• Arnebya says:

You both have me in tears. I think, deep down, this is another reason why we haven’t gotten a pet. I don’t know if it’s that I’m trying to spare them the pain of losing someone you love so much or what, but your stories have me going back and forth between saving them from potential heartache and wanting to give them a friend and family member they’ll always cherish.

We never really get over the loss of a pet…no matter how much time you have to “grieve” in advance. I still miss my Max. Hugs to you, my friend.

12. Neha says:

I’ve read this post numerous times today and got teary eyed every single time. She is a beautiful, wonderful puppy… Im sure she knows she is greatly loved and will be missed. Lots of kisses and tummy rubs to her and hugs to you…

13. Oh Yuliya. I am so sorry. There’s nothing quite like that unconditional love. Thinking about you. xo

14. angela says:

I’m so sorry to read this. Sending love, and I’m sorry this is a lesson you’re learning right now from your sweet buddy.

15. Momo Fali says:

It’s been less than a week since I said goodbye to my yellow lab. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I won’t lie. But, it’s getting easier. Not easy, but there are less heaving sobs and only leaving the house with sunglasses on because my eyes are so puffy that it looks like I shoved cotton-balls under my eyelids.

I will always miss her and there will always be an unfilled hole in my heart with her gone, but KNOW it is KIND not to let them suffer. It is our last gift to them.

16. Oh, Yulia.
    Oh no.

I didn’t realize that your post was about this kind of teacher, this kind of lesson, this kind of loss.

I love my dogs shamelessly. Over-the-top love.
    I can’t even imagine.

So I’m sorry I didn’t get here sooner.
    Because I would have been sending you all kinds of love.

But I am now. For what it’s worth.
    I am so very sorry.