BlogHer Recap Extravaganza

Photo credit Tracy (Sellabit Mum)

Alternative title: Elmo is kind of a Perv, look at those googly eyes!

I’m back from the big blogging conference (a joy to explain what that is to people on the elevator)! I am siiiiiiick, emphasis on ick, but I persevere to write this recap for you. (And because ever since the placenta ate my brain my memory is not what it used to be.)

I am at a loss for words and at a (rare) time like this I would normally turn to my photos to rescue me and to convey all of the things that BlogHer was, but alas my camera broke.  (Yes, the irony of handing out business cards that say “photographer” on it and then NOT having a functioning camera is not lost on me.)

I learned so much and I have big plans to share more this week, but for now here are some tips and observations.

You don’t need your laptop- hilarious prank played on newbies. You don’t need a laptop at a social media conference, really? REALLY? Well what DO you need then, a clay tablet perhaps?

Swag- “Free” stuff that your airline will make you pour out in the security line or charge you hundreds of dollars to take home.

Expo Hall- magical place you sneak off to after lunch to eat just dipped Dove ice cream bars…not that I did this, just saying.

Afternoon Break- I took this waaay too literally and sprained my ankle, I am one confused underachiever.

Pedicabs- Biggest scam in the history of transportation. To the jerk that ripped me off, I want my money back and my dignity.

“I can’t wait to meet you at BlogHer!” - means absolutely nothing. If you want to see someone, make a plan, have their phone number and set up a time and place, otherwise you’re SOL.

Mean Bloggers- I suspect this is an urban myth, but I did hear from a friend that another friend came up to someone to introduce herself and that someone handed back their business card and wouldn’t take it because they had no idea who this person was. Ouch.

Did I learn a lot from sessions and (s)talking incredibly talented women after sessions? Absolutely!

Did I stay out way too late to hug friends and dance on stage? You bet.

Did I worry (needlessly) about how husband would handle all child rearing responsibilities while I flitted from session to session? Well duh. But I’m happy to report that there was only one meltdown that requried my presence (at the worst possible time, naturally.)

Did I miss my chance for fame and fortune? Alas I did. I slipped and fell in the lovely atrium area of the Mariott and was going to sue their behinds off but they made me sign one of those pesky waivers releasing them from legal responsibility and what not. However a plan is in the works for next year as New York seems like an accident waiting to happen (to me.)

Did I get overwhelmed and have moments of social anxiety and cry on the shoulders of sweet, caring people? Yeah I totally did that too and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

Was I jealous of people with brand meetings or sponsorships, of those honored to read on stage this year, those with better swag, those with better thighs or hair or what have you? No, no and no. In the words of a wise lady, if you are my friend then your joy is my joy. As for that last one, yeah I’m hard on myself about my appearance, and after this conference I might actually have the courage to write about it.

Was it everything I thought it would be and more? Well yes and no. There were people that surprised me in good ways and in bad, (I first wrote “in bed”, Freudian slip!) I reconnected with old friends, made new ones, was disappointed by others with whom I had clearly manufactured a relationship with in my mind and I felt both utterly content and totally incomplete from one moment to the next.

I hope to talk about the sessions later this week and share the nuggets of wisdom I may have gleaned, but for now I just want to give a shout out some of the folks that I met, that I had already met in some capacity. (Newbies will get a shout out later this week)

You were all so generous, way better than average, gracious, talented, inspirational, sillier than anticipated, giggle inducing, real (real awesome), hilarious, fun, the life of the party, poised, gorgeousknowledgeable, eloquent, confident, nice, genuineauthentic, supportive, driven, warm, beautiful, lovely, friendly, smart, dancing queens, sassy, genius, creative, sweet, huggable, darling, happy, inspiring, evolved (hee hee) and more!

And of course my recap post would be incomplete without saying that I met my blogging idol, Kelle Hampton. I was a bumbling moron around her but she was nothing but sweet and gracious back to me.

And Aliza attacked Baby Nella and demanded to hug her and hold her, I tried to explain to Kelle that I visit her blog every day so my baby must think she knows her baby, but really Nella is going to have to get used to being the most recognizable sweet little face in the blogosphere! More to come later…

Tags:

51 Responses to “BlogHer Recap Extravaganza”

1. Nichole says:

I love you. Beyond words.
    You are exactly who you portray yourself to be and so much more.
    Thank you for being my true friend…online and in real life.
    I count you amongst my life’s greatest blessings.

Why would you make me cry again after all the crying I did this weekend? Terrible person you.
      (Love you. So much.)

2. Dr. G says:

That made me feel like I was there. And you can manufacture a relationship with me – I promise to buy in. Come find me on Twitter. @AskDocG. I’m off to look for you now.

Take care and feel better soon (doctor’s orders).

3. I so loved meeting you. As Nichole says, you are everything I thought you’d be and so much more. You, my friend, are genuine. And gorgeous too.

p.s. I won’t tell anyone about that crawling under the table incident at Red Pearl Kitchen. :)

xo

4. I, for one, was absolutely heartbroken that your camera betrayed you.

And don’t worry, beautiful – I was TOTALLY grateful about for the fork!!!

5. Yuliya -

I loved meeting you; truly, ever minute was fun.

And I’m so grateful to be included in this roundup…even if I think “deodorant failing” would be a better adjective for me.

6. gigi says:

Well done, Yuliya!!! It was delightful to meet you in person. You are a fun, warm, funny and genuine person and I’m glad to have crossed paths with you!

And yes, those pedicabs are an absolute ripoff!! :)

7. Morgan B. says:

I am so grateful for the little time we had together! Eliza is darling and you are even lovelier in person than you are on your blog. I can’t wait until next year! Hopefully we we won’t have our children there to distract us! xo

So thankful the pedicab boy did not kill us – living was the highlight of the trip, of course after getting so close to your gorgeous boobs.
    xoxo

9. Alexandra says:

That last picture? You had your blogging dream come true. Which is very cool.

Happy I got the chance to sit next to you at Humor Forum.

Glad you didn’t get hurt when you went flying.

If you’re in NY next year, you’re right: if it’s not planned, it doesn’t happen. We have to say “meet you at breakfast”, or “meet you at the party at 11.”

Because it just can’t happen. So much to do:not near enough hours.

Glad you went, and met so many people, and that all went pretty well. Glad we had the chance to talk here and there and did run into each other.

I searched for CiaoMom and never saw her.

It just doesn’t happen.

xo

You looked gorgeous, especially in the ruffled number.

I still think you have the best legs on the planet.

You could write a post on your gams.

10. Tonya says:

This was the perfect recap. Very heartfelt.

And?

Genuine… that’s one of the nicest compliments anyone could pay me. :)

I so enjoyed meeting you. You are beautiful inside and out!

PLEASE keep me posted on the retreat. I’m in!!

11. angela says:

I am soaking up all these recaps, and this one just moved me to tears. I think all of those people you felt so thrilled to meet were so lucky to meet you, too!

This? Awesome. And how you had the energy to do this today, being sick and all that, and make it so funny AND link up to so many lovelies???

Well, you rock. So glad we went, and thank you so much for spending time with me and for the thigh grabs I got (Aliza’s, I mean).

13. Loved getting to hug you and hang out! That photo of you, Kelle and your girls is so fantastic! Beautiful ladies all around!

14. Jen says:

Blogher was more than I could every explain. I loved every single minute.

15. Dana says:

I’m glad to hear you’re already talking about next year because I plan to go to NYC for BlogHer12. Thought I could swing a big trip out to the other coast this year but, in the end, I had to cancel. I’ll look forward to meeting you next year.

16. I love that photo of you and Kelle! To meet your bloggy idol is awesome! I am really hoping that I can figure out a way to swing it to NYC next year.

17. Sandra says:

Wasn’t there! So I loved this post. I want the details, but then again, I’m still wishing I had been a part of the excitement. Glad you met your fave blogger!

18. This is such a great recap! I agree with it all. And I would add that I actually had one woman, who I used to follow on twitter, come up to me and hand me her card and leave. Before I could tell her anything about me or give her my card. Note that I said I used to follow her.

But I thought most people were very friendly and great. And I had a wonderful time.

So glad I got to meet you!

BlogHer12 or bust!

19. Feel better soon!

Gorgeous recap, and yay on meeting blogging idols!

20. Ah, Yulia, see, for me, getting to hang out with you so much was also a highlight! Thank you so much for including me in the gang and I think *you* are completely huggable yourself, too! OK, I’m cross-eyed tired, but I gotta get MY wrap-up post up soon, right? OK, nose to grindstone now.And hugs. lots of cyber-hugs to you.

And you WILL come to my city (NYC) next year and we WILL dance together (and no sprained ankles next time, please)

21. Elena says:

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! It was lovely to meet you and chat. You are truly fabulous and beautiful and funny–and I can’t wait to read when you are able to touch those touchy and hard topics like appearances. And seriously, if this is you sick, then you are even more amazing. xo

22. Elena says:

Um…and really—you made me get all teary by calling me inspiring! Sending you healing hugs!

23. Elaine says:

I love how Elmo is TOTALLY checking out your legs! ;-P

I LOVED meeting and hanging out with you. And I MEAN that!!!! You’re amazing and such a ray of light. And your tips are great…

And I had no idea Kelle Hampton was there! She’s amazing too. Wow. such a great shot of you two together with your babies. :)

24. Rima says:

I’ve never been to BlogHer. It sounds both absolutely petrifying and deliriously fun. Hmm . . . Do you think you’ll go again next year?

25. liz says:

Handed back a business card? For real? Sheesh!

Elmo totally was checking out your legs.

26. MamaRobinJ says:

Awesome recap. I loved meeting you and you are obviously so much more fabulous than you even give yourself credit for.

Also, the mean blogger story is quite real, I’m assured. People are stupid.

27. Natalie says:

Quite possibly, the best, most honest post I’ve read so far!! I learned a lot too, and one of the things I learned was that I should’ve slowed down and spent more time with friends. I hate that I can’t make up for that now.

Also? Your sweet Aliza? BEE-U-TEE-FULL!!!

And next time…I will be spending much, much more time with my friends…

28. I LOVED meeting you…and I can’t say that about everyone I met.

LOVED YOU.

Thanks for the shout out…and, would you believe me if I said that I clicked on *life of the party* for me 1st?

At least I know myself well.

Snort.

We must get together again soon.

Playdate/overnight at Nichole’s?

xoxoox

29. This is an excellent recap! I am so bummed I wasn’t there. I’m glad you met Kelle! She is wonderful.

Steph

30. Jessica says:

I think I’m just going to refer people to this post for my recap.

Thanks for including me in that list of great bloggers.

P.S. I’m always here for you. And we can play in person whenever we want which makes me really happy.

31. Eva Gallant says:

Sounds like you had a great time except for the ankle part! I’m checking out some of your shout outs….I met Erin of I’m Gonna’ Kill Him at the Bloggy Boot Camp in Philly last year.

32. Great recap! I feel like I was following along behind you (sorry I didn’t catch you when you slipped) – and for all the rude people who were probably there, I bet there were more like you – warm, friendly and funny!

33. Kelle says:

I am cracking up. Girl, you are hilarious. Your breakdown of the whole thing was funny, true, insightful. You had me with Elmo’s googly eyes too. Creepy muppet. I sent the pic yesterday, but I’ll send it again when I find my phone charger! xoxo It was so lovely meeting you and your sweet babe. I’m sure it will happen again. And keep taking pictures…they are fabulous.

34. I had moments when I was overwhelmed by the whole thing (I wrote about it in my own BlogHer debriefing post yesterday), and came unprepared (ie without phone numbers in hand like yours). WHY didn’t we exchange them? I bet I walked past you and vice versa! There were a handful of people I just never got to meet, and you were one of them! Bummer!

35. Catherine says:

I love love loved meeting you. Your sass is just what I need more of in my life.

36. Poppy says:

You don’t have martini drinking hussy on your list. I already told you that you were on my top 5 of people I had to meet. You did not disappoint. Next year hang next to me because I had can splint any injury because of Hank.

SHIT! Did I not include you? This is what happens when I don’t have people’s business cards…you might have to mail me one

37. You are one hot (and sweet) mama. I am so happy we got to meet!

38. Roxanne says:

Oh my god I LOVED meeting you!

Sure, it wasn’t at BlogHer and it was several months ago, but so what?

I think you’re awesome anyway.

39. Ann says:

So glad to meet you IRL. I can’t wait to see where your make those opportunities!!

xo

I have already told people that I will be gathering them bi-weekly to just read aloud to them. That is my level of need.

Your session was amazing and inspiring and exactly what I needed. I can’t thank you enough.

40. Cam says:

great recap. sounds like you had a great time!

41. SurferWife says:

Girl. The minute I saw you crawl on the floor to get out from the table at Wednesday night’s dinner, I knew you were my people.

I also have a picture of some fantastic boobies (that may or may not belong to you) on my phone. So, there’s that.

42. Suz says:

Awesome recap. I’m so impressed you had it done Monday ~ I was in too big of a BlogHer hangover/exhaustion to do much Monday.
    Also I’m super jealous of your Kelle photo! Love her {& you!}

43. Jessica says:

Well now I want to meet you more than I did before, if that’s possible. That last picture is the best, I love Kelle too and love how Aliza is all over Nella.

44. [...] whom I got to meet in person at BlogHer and I love even more than I did before, wrote the BEST review of BlogHer’11. It’s honest, to the point, and a no-holds-barred look at what happened this past weekend. [...]

45. Frelle says:

im so glad we met. really. this is a wonderful recap post with so much of you in it, and so much great advice as well. :)

46. Kelly says:

It was such a pleasure to meet you!!! I only wish we had more time to chat…hard to do so during a lunch keynote! It was like we were two ships passing in the night…

and I had no idea you were sick! You, are a trooper!

Thank you so much for including me in such an awesome list of folks….I hope you go to NYC next year!! We will MAKE time!! :)

xoxo

47. [...] Yuliya from She Suggests had the best business cards at the entire conference, featuring her original photography, and she didn’t take it personally when I shushed her during a session. This is her funny recap of the conference. [...]

48. You are the best. I’ve had a ball meeting you at these things…