Saturday Surf and Turf

I’ve been waiting for this day for weeks, months even.

Salivating over the possibilities.

Will they be long and hard?

Slightly wilted?

Will they be dirty?

Where will I stick all of this gorgeous bounty?

And after many moons, I can finally show you my box! (That’s the CSA Food Box, dirty birds)

Are you ready for your close up?

And now onto the surfin’

I read a lot of blogs, written by a lot of very smart people. It’s possible that this mother in particular is the smartest. Read about her ingenious experiment to help her kids understand just how much she does for them. (Find the update and conclusion here.) I hope she gets a big fat bouquet of flowers for Mother’s day!

This conversation between mother and son had me grinning from ear to ear.

The clever Ilana shares, how to win an argument

This post by the amazingly talented Rima, brought back some black and white memories. But my memories of the olden days of TV watching are totally different from hers… perhaps I will write a blog post to explain…

And last but not least, the talented ladies at EliRose Social Media did a kick-ass blog assessment for me. You should totally do one. Unless you don’t blog. In which case what do you do with ALL that free time?

25 Responses to “Saturday Surf and Turf”

1. liz says:

There’s one thing I really love about this, and one thing that gives me nightmares. Wanna guess what is what? :)

Super YAY for the Eli shout!

2. Your CSA looks fabulous! I did one last year, but I haven’t signed up again b/c we got sooooo many repeats. I love being green, etc. but it was the same stuff all the time. And frankly? I can only handle so much chard.
    ;-)

LOVED seeing your box. snort!

3. Thank you so much for the mention,Yuliya! I’m honored! My kids are so relieved that experiment is over (Calvin wrote the word ‘chores’ in a big frowny face the other day), but I hope the lessons are long-lasting!

4. Jessica says:

I’ve never tried CSA before. I’m afraid my family wouldn’t eat what we get.

The blog assessment from Eli Rose is great. I did it too.

5. CSA sounds like a great idea. If only we could have that here in my neck of the woods.

Going to check out the posts you recommend. And I hope Eli Rose does my assessment too. Happy weekend!

6. nichole says:

I’m on my way over. That produce looks fab.

7. Rima says:

Thanks for the shout out, Yuliya! I can’t wait to read your TV post!

8. gigi says:

I think your blog is lovely as always. Glad I could stop by and see your gorgeous photos. What will you be cooking and what time can I be over? :)

xoxo

9. Natalie says:

Your veggies look beyond beautiful…sigh. Wish we were neighbors so I could raid your garden ;)

Now need to check out what CSA is…

10. Curious to see what you’ll make with those mushrooms.

Already done, we made mushroom soup. I really don’t care for oyster mushrooms, but we will be getting them week after week so I will be figuring out more dishes to make with them.

11. Hello friend
    You really do read a lot of blogs – I don’t know how you do it. And the veggies look lovely. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

12. Poppy says:

We just got home from vacation and as I look at my weed infested patch of dirt that I must transform into a garden this week, I think it would be much nicer if someone would just deliver lovely produce weekly. You inspire me to want to learn how to take pictures.

13. andygirl says:

if you’re making a yummy salad with all that, I’ll be over in 5 minutes.

So far we’ve made several salads, sauteed the chard (YUM!) and made mushroom soup with the mushrooms…still holding on to the asparagus…but the box is weekly so I better hurry up and eat what’s left to make room.

Oh now I am ready for our Farmer’s Markets to open! Yum!!!!

15. I entered the Eli Rose contest! I hope I win! I might have to buy a package if I don’t. . .

16. joann mannix says:

Beautiful! I am so in love with vegetables. I’ve got two vegetarian daughters and I could almost be one. If it comes from the ground or a tree, I’m in.

Roast up those asparagus with some good kosher salt, a dash of pepper and some parmesan cheese. Yummy!

Thanks for stopping by my ghost town blog. I hope to be done with revising very shortly and be back with you blog loves very soon.

17. I did the surprise CSA box before as well. Was it just me – or do you think it smells funny? I know, it’s a ridiculous question. I did it when I was pregnant with our second and I had to give EVERY SINGLE box away. I couldn’t stand the smell! So, now I’m totally afraid to try again, now that I’m non-pregnant and hopefully a non-freak. ;)

Great recommendations on the different posts. Those eggs are amazing!

I have no doubt that you’ll make some awesome stuff with those veggies!

And you pictures make anything look good. Seriously.

19. Wow thank you for including me! That means so much….made my weekend :)

20. Alexandra says:

Your blog is becoming a place of incredulousness beauty in spirit, thought, love of the earth, goddess of wisdom, and true sincerity.

I try to still like you.

21. I am so jealous of your box.

(sorry. had to say it.)

22. Galit Breen says:

You’re such a talented photographer! And totally dirty, but still! So very talented!

We are doing a CSA this year, too, and I can’t wait to um- show you my box?

Never mind. Love your post, as always!

XO

23. [...] yelling at me “what’s with the stupid name you don’t even suggest anything, heck your food posts don’t even include recipes, that is not at all [...]