Saturday Surf and Turf

The arrival of another weekend means it’s time to scour the internet for some light reading and scour the kitchen for some serious eating.

Today I share my go to weekend favorite, the Kitchen Sink Quiche. As the name implies, I don’t use a recipe or have set ingredients for this quick crustless quiche.  As long as I have a base of eggs, cheese and veggies I am guaranteed an easy and tasty breakfast (or lunch or dinner.)

On this particular day I had cheddar cheese and ricotta on hand. I combined that with eggs, and the following fridge finds…

That’s red onion, mushroom and fennel, YUM! I also threw in a bit of spinach, ham and green onion (not pictured.)

Season with salt, pepper and favorite spices (I like paprika or cayenne pepper.)

Pour into a ready vessel (giggle) and bake at 375 for thirty minutes or until eggs are set and cheese is melted.

One of the reasons I make this without a crust is that I have discovered I have a sensitivity to gluten.

Check out this article for more information on gluten sensitivity.

I haven’t been a very good blog reader this week, but I did have a hilarious exchange with fellow ex-Soviet bloggers on Twitter.  It led to the birth of an organization “Ze Blog Bloc” with official insignia slapped together by the lovely and talented Vicky Boykis, of the eponymous blog.  (Now I just learned the word eponymous and have no idea if I am using it correctly, be a dear and set me straight if I’m not) She was also kind enough to collect us poor stray souls in this fancy blogroll, check it out!

What else? My talented friend Gigi wondered about how to help kids find true talent, if there is such a thing.

I so want to do this! Right after all of the other projects on my to do list are finished…

Maybe once my kid is old enough to do chores my life will improve substantially?

Have a fabulous rest of your weekend folks! Make some quiche!

Tags:

24 Responses to “Saturday Surf and Turf”

1. andygirl says:

vessel. teehee!

ahem.

that looks delicious! I’m coming over to live with you. I’ll babysit for free food.

2. Miri says:

That looks truly scrumptious, as do your weekend blog reading links.

As for “eponymous,” I do believe that you have it backwards. The eponymous one is the one who had the name first, so unless Vicky Boykis was named after her blog (which, these days, is entirely possible), I think it should be the other way around. ;)

3. Looks delicious, Yuliya. Your use of word “eponymous” also delicious. BTW, if you’re looking for gluten-free resources, one of the guys I work with has a terrific blog called “Gluten Free Mike” — he’s paying me to say this in gluten-free crackers. http://www.glutenfreemike.com/

Oh you Russians have been crazy on twitter lately. :)

Love quiche. Real men eat quiche.

Happy Sunday dearest.
    xoxo

So happy my gender confusion issues have finally been put to rest!
      Happy Sunday to you! Hope you are doing something FABULOUS!

5. That looks delicious! Hmmm…maybe I’ll make a quiche today.

6. Jessica says:

Your pictures are so AWESOME! I am drooling just looking at them.

Is that enough of a compliment for you? If not, I can try again.

7. Natalie says:

Save a piece of quiche for me….I’m starving!

8. Mrs. Jen B says:

Looks scrumptious! Quiche is something I’ve still never managed to make, even though (a) I have all the ingredients, all the time and (b) it looks like a cinch. Maybe because (c) I know I’m the only one in my house who would eat it ;)

9. Ze Blog Bloc – you crack me up.

And your quiche looks delish.

Hope you’re doing well, my friend! I miss you.

10. Alexandra says:

I’m too old to play games…

my heart is on my sleeve:

leave your husband, bring the baby, and live with me.

I’ll be good to you.

11. 30ish Mama says:

That looks so good! I once made quiche and used hash browns as a crust, but I never thought of going completely crustless.

BTW, I love all things Russian. I will send you a link to a post I wrote about it!

Your pictures? Always make me hungry. They are fabulous, and I love me some quiche…

13. MarathonMom says:

I love to make quiche and never mess with the crust! Who needs the extra calories?????

It’s amazing what you can fill it with. Bon Appetit!

14. Veronica says:

That quiche looks good! I haven’t had one in a long time.

15. liz says:

I don’t know if I’ve ever had quiche, though it kinda looks like an omelette in a pie form??

16. Ok, just reading this now (Tues morning) and now I am HUNGRY.

Darnit.

17. Mandy says:

Oh. Yum.

Hmm…I think I know what I’m making for dinner tonight!

18. Yuliya, keep the recipes coming. I will be trying this in a few days. Low carbs is my name and no crust is my game!
    Dana

19. Morgan B. says:

Oh yum! I’ve got eggs to burn too. Loving the recipes!